- About Us
Introduction – basic principles, building blocks, material property charts, how the study of nature’s designs can help engineers, examples of successful biomimetic designs.
Mechanical design – hierarchical construction, bio-composites, structure & properties of bamboo, silks, bones, teeth, shells, antlers and beaks, impact resistance, fracture mitigation, damping, self-healing.
Surface engineering – lotus effect, geko adhesion, Velcro, pitcher plants, synovial joints, bio-fouling, coatings. Thermal control – heat dissipation, insulation of fur and feathers, constructal theory.
Sensors & actuators – whiskers, magnetics, muscles, snap-action, seed dispersal, mantis shrimp.
Bio-optics – structural colors, compound eyes, antireflection, stealth, imaging.
Locomotion – limbs, wings, flight, swimming, drag reduction, applications to drones & robots.
Navigation – short & long range navigation techniques of bees, ants, turtles & migratory birds.
Design project – application of biomimetic principles to an engineering design.
1. Bar-Cohen Y (ed.); Biomimetics: Nature based innovation; CRC Press, 2011
2. Lakhtakia A, Martin-Palma RJ (eds); Engineered biomimicry; Elsevier, 2013
1. Bhushan B; Biomimetics: lessons from nature – an overview; Phil.Trans.Roy.Soc.A, 367 (2009) 1445
2. Glotzer SC, Solomon MJ; Anisotropy of building blocks and their assembly into complex structures; Nature Materials, 6 (2007) 667-562
3. Ballarini R, et al; Biological structures mitigate catastrophic fracture through various strategies; Int.J.Fracture, 135 (2005) 187-197
4. Barthelat F; Biomimetics for next generation materials: Phil.Trans.Roy.Soc.A, 365 (2007) 2907-2919
5. Burgert I, Fratzl P; Actuation systems in plants as prototypes for bioinspired devices; Phil.Trans.Roy.Soc.A, 367 (2009) 1541
6. McKrittic J, et al; Energy absorbent natural materials and bio-inspired design strategies; Mater.Sci.Eng.C, 30 (2010) 331
7. Dickinson MH, et al; How animals move: an integrative view; Science, 288 (2000) 100-106
8. Fourcassie V, et al; Ant traffic rules; J.Exper.Biol., 213 (2010) 2357-2363
9. Fratzl P, Barth FG; Biomaterial systems for mechanosensing and actuation; Nature, 462 (2009) 442
10. Song YM; Digital cameras with designs inspired by the anthropod eye; Nature, 497 (2013)