- About Us
|ED 4030||Finite Element Methods for Design||3||1||-||4||PMT|
Review of Equilibrium equations and linear Elastic Constitutive relations – Their reduction to Plane stress, Plane strain, Axisymmetric. Governing equations for beam, plates and shell.
Energy Principle and Virtual Work principle. Introduction to the Calculus of Variations.
One dimensional Finite elements and the computational procedure.
Element Formulation: Interpolation function, simple 2D Elements and the isoparametric formulation.
Assembly Procedure, Solution and interpretation of results.
Case studies using all the popular elements.
1. R.D. Cook, Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis, Fourth Edition, John Wiley, 2002.
2. J.N. Reddy, An Introduction to the Finite Element Method, McGraw Hill, 1984.
3. J. Fish and T. Belytschko, A first Course in finite element, John Wiley, 2007.
1. O.C. Zeinkiewicz, R.L. Taylor and J.Z. Zhu, The Finite Element Method, Its Basis and Fundamentals, Butterworth, 2005.
2. T.J.R. Hughes, The Finite Element Method: Linear Static and Dynamic Analysis, Dover, New York, 2000.