- About Us
|ED 5312||Materials and Manufacturing for the Automotive industry|
1. General Introduction to auto materials
2. Steels and applications: fabrication of steels in cast and other shapes, metallurgical aspects, surface treatments, strengthening mechanisms, failure mechanisms and investigations, applications such as steel body panels, structural forgings etc.
3. Cast iron and applications: grey iron, CG iron and SG iron; metallurgy and specifications, costs, applications such as crankcase, camshaft etc.
4. Aluminium alloys and applications: casting of pistons and casings using aluminium alloys; applications (e.g. radiators, intercoolers)
5. Copper-base alloys: fabrication of bearings
6. Relevant automotive applications of rubber, plastics and glass
Materials for automobile bodies, G. Davies, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003.
1. Metal cutting principles, M. C. Shaw, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2005.
2. Engineering Materials 1 and 2, M. F. Ashby and D. R. H. Jones, Third Edition, Elsevier, 2005.
3. Mechanical metallurgy, G. F. Dieter, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
4. Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly, Geoffrey Boothroyd, 2nd edition, CRC Press.
5. Manufacturing processes for engineering materials, S. Kalpakjian and Steven Schmid, 5th edition,