- About Us
|ED 5290||Rapid Product Development|
Review of CAD/CAM: Solid modeling techniques, Basic principle of Numerical Control (NC) and computer assisted part programming.
Reverse Engineering: Introduction, Data acquisition techniques, Point cloud processing, surface modeling.
Rapid Prototyping (RP) processes: Basic principles, Classification of RP processes
Process planning for RP: Stereo-lithography (STL) file generation, Defects in STL files and repairing algorithms, Slicing and tool path generation procedures.
RP Systems: Stereo-lithography Apparatus, Fused Deposition Modeling, Selective Laser Sintering, Laminated Object Manufacturing, 3D Printing, Multi Jet Printing etc.
Accuracy and other issues in RP: Strength of RP parts, Surface roughness problem in RP, Part deposition orientation and its effect on accuracy, surface finish, build time, support volume and cost.
Rapid Tooling techniques: Silicon tooling, Spray metal and epoxy tooling, Direct metal laser sintering and other related techniques.
Integration of the Reverse Engineering, Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Tooling, their role in product development and concurrent engineering, case studies.
Laboratory Component: Demonstration as well as exercise. Solid modeling, Laser Scanning, Surface modeling, STL file processing, rapid prototyping.
1. Zeid, I., Mastering CAD/CAM, Tata McGraw Hill, 2006
2. B.K. Choi, R.B. Jerard, Sculptured Surface Machining, Kluwer Academic, 1998.
3. Chua, C.K., Leong, K.F., Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications in Manufacturing, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2000.
1. Mortenson, M.E., Geometric Modelling, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1997
2. Saxena, A., Sahay, B., Computer Aided Engineering Design, Anamaya Publishers, New Dehi, 2005.
3. James Madison, CNC Machining Handbook, Industrial Press, New York, 1996
4. Pham, D.T., Demov, S.S., Rapid Manufacturing: The Technologies and Applications of Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Tooling, Springer-Verlag, 2001.
5. Hopkinson, N., Hague, R.J.M. and Dickens, P.M., Rapid Manufacturing and Industrial Revolution for the Digital Age, John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2005.
6. Gebhardt, A., Rapid Prototyping, Hanser Gardner Publications, Inc., 2003.
7. Noorani, R., Rapid Prototyping: Principles and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
8. Gibson, I., Software Solutions for Rapid Prototyping, Professional Engineering Publication Ltd., 2002.
9. Patri, K. V., and Weiyin, Ma, Rapid Prototyping – Laser-based and Other Technologies, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.
10. CAD Journal, Elsevier Publications
11. Rapid Prototyping Journal, Emerald Publishers
12. Journal of Virtual and Physical Prototyping, Taylor and Francis
13. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Elsevier Publications
International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer