Areas of Research
My research primarily revolves around using probability and statistics, optimization and Finite element methods(FEM). I and my students investigate problems of varied interests in different areas ranging from optimal designs of computer models built in FEM, decision support systems in aerospace, agriculture and social sciences to integrating sensor responses to probabilistic models in structural health monitoring.
Specific Research Topics at IITM (2009 December ~ present)
[For further details or updates, please write to me]
Optimization, probability and statistics
Steganography, e-health and probabilistic structural health monitoring
- Probabilistic optimization of wind turbines
- Smart sampling schemes for tail modelling
- Reliability based fatigue designs
- Topology optimization for automobile crash
Public Participatory GIS (PPGIS) based water shed management system in villages
- Modelling and simulation of an advisory landing system using synthetic vision system (SVS) and enhanced vision system (EVS)
- Pressure sensing based suture tensioner for whipple surgeries
- [PI] A Decision Support System for pilot landing in adverse conditions: taking advantage of understanding uncertainties, Feb 2015-Feb 2018, Aerospace Research & Development Board -Systems Panel.
- [Mentor] Design and development of a vertical axis wind turbine, 27-09-2013 to 26-07-2014, IITM Innovative Student Project
- [Co-PI] HuMotor: A humane way to utilize human efforts at a workplace, IITM Socially Relevant Projects grant
- [Co-PI] Enhancement and field trials of free and open source GIS software, 09-03-2012 to 08-03-2015, Department of Land Resources
- [PI]PP-GIS desicion support system for farmers, 26-02-2013 to 25-02-2013, IITM Socially Relevant Projects grant,24-01-2013 to 23-01-2014
- [PI] Fatigue based reliabile designs, 01-11-2010 to 31-12-2013, IITM seed grant
[Co-PI] To ideate and explore different strategies for openable tailgate mechanisms for automobiles, 01-01-2015 to 01-08-2015, Saint Gobain India Ltd.
[PI] Development of a suitable system to reduce noice generated during SSTP tube manufacturing stages, 30-05-2014 To 30-05-2015,Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
[co-PI] HuMotor: A Humane way to utilize Human Efforts, 31-03-2014 To 31-03-2016, Building Materials & Technology Promotion.
- [co-PI]Redesign of the pedal-- driven agarbatti making machine,26-05-2014 To 25-05-2015,Navachaitanya Urban & Rural Development Society
[co-PI] Enhancing water proofing for wrist watches of edge watch,20-12-2013 To 19-03-2015, Titan Company Ltd.
[PI] Innovative bicycle design, 21-02-2014 To 20-02-2015, Ricycle'N City Pvt. Ltd.
[PI] Watch case, modular jewelry and statically balanced kitchen cabinet designs, 02-02-2014 To 01-03-2015, Titan Company Ltd.
[PI]An expanding air bag concept for drying in washing machines. 01-09-2013 to 21-12-2013, Whirlpool India Ltd
[PI]An investigation of alternate water extraction mechanisms in a vertical axis washing machine. 01-03-2013 to 01-11-2013,Whirlpool India Ltd
[Co-PI] Analysis and design of regulating vane control (RVC) mechanism, 15-07-2012 to 31-12-2013, Bharat Heavy Electrical Limited